At the end of June, thirteen of us from Northview attended the Gospel Coalition Women’s Conference in Orlando Florida with approximately four thousand other women. For the plenary sessions all of us were all in one gigantic room. As I glanced around at the crowd during our times of worship, prayer and bible study the sheer size of the crowd was overwhelming and I thought, “What would it be like to have the responsibility of leading and teaching so many people?”
On the second day at the conference it suddenly dawned on me that I know what it’s like to have this responsibility! At Northview Church, we lead and teach the same number of people on a regular basis – yikes!
This realization was sobering; seeing 4,000 people in one place caused me to feel the size of our congregation in a new way. As leaders, we are responsible for those in our care. The author of Hebrews reminds his recipients that church leaders “are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account” (Hebrews 13:17). That is a lot of souls.
With this charge and responsibility in mind, I thought I would take the opportunity to ask for prayer for Northview’s elders and pastors:
- that, like the writer of Hebrews, we would “have a clear conscience, desiring to act honourably in all things.” (Hebrews 13:18),
- that we would “rightly [handle] the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15),
- that we would be “kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting … opponents with gentleness” (2 Timothy 2:24-25)
- and that we would “preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke and exhort with complete patience and teaching” (2 Timothy 4:2).
Will you pray for us?
Pastor of Women
Interested in hearing more about the Gospel Coalition Women’s Conference?
- Listen to our podcast! We recorded a special podcast on the conference with guests Sterling Ray, Nancy Steiger, Rebekah Meeker, Janice Yaskow, and Cecilia Steenkamp.
- Listen / Watch all the sessions on-line! All plenary and breakout sessions are free to view at your leisure.
- Consider coming along in 2016!